I decided to construct a coffee table that would complement the interior design of my parents’ home, update the feel of the room and also provide our family with additional storage space.
I undertook research before I designed the coffee table, reviewing other table designs, types of timber, finishes, handles, joints and examples of laser-cut design.
I decided on a combination of dark and light timbers for the design of my coffee table. My final timber choices included Jarrah for its visually-striking red tones, and hoop pine as it contrasted nicely with the Jarrah and is also very easy to work with. The hoop pine would be used for the carcase and tabletop, with the Jarrah used for the contrasting details.
Unfortunately, Jarrah proved to be very expensive but I sourced some recycled timber for the legs that matched the Jarrah timber used in the contrasting design features.
I sketched my initial concepts and then transferred them to Onshape to create the final design.
I used different types of joints in this project, some of which had a high degree of difficulty.
A feathered mitre joint was used in the cubby hole. This was quite a challenging part of the build as each component had to be meticulously measured so the finished edge would be flush.
Pin joints were used for the drawers as they are fairly strong and have a lot of aesthetic appeal.
Domino joints were used on the sides of the coffee table and tabletop as I needed to make these parts of the project from several pieces of timber.
The drawer runner I selected is made of metal. I believed this would provide a smooth opening and closing action and allow me to incorporate some more modern elements in my design. I also decided to use a one-sided drawer runner so that the drawer could only be opened from one location.
I chose a C-shaped wooden handle for the drawers as it is aesthetically pleasing and very functional.
I used a mortise and tenon jig to create an inlay for the tabletop. I needed assistance to support the table as I slowly cut the mortise holes into the timber line by line, until I got the size I wanted. I then cut four squares slightly larger than the holes and added a tapered edge, allowing them to slot into the timber.
I learned a lot producing this table and I am very proud of the finished result.