The drawings I initially created for this sideboard project were digitally crafted. I decided to start using hand drawings later in the year when certain aspects of the project had changed, and new designs or ideas needed to be made.
Using CAD Drawings to convey individual parts along with how they should be joined was beneficial as I had to do all of the problem solving before making the model which in turn shortened the time it took me to complete various domino and pin/finger joints. The program also has the capability to warn of incorrect dimensions and strength tests for joints depending on the material you input, which acts as a guideline as to the joints that should be used.
I gained ideas about the frame of my project through various woodworking magazines and books - ideas about how the drawers were going to look and how many I would need. Even though I had not planned on building my own legs, I sourced ideas about how they should look from the same magazines and books. These ideas also helped me choose the appropriate legs based on the structure of my base to properly support the weight.
The rose design was created using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. I found a line drawing of a rose and changed the colours to black and white and maximised the contrast between those two colours in Photoshop. I then rendered the image into Adobe Illustrator where each line was modelled to be a moveable vector object. The image was then changed to a file that could be easily read by the laser cutter, and the wood was positioned within the machine where the graphic was then cut.
Overall, I believe that my project was completed to a high standard and one with which I am satisfied.